Large-scale energy storage technology research and development, in particular advanced compressed air energy storage (A-CAES) technology, large-scale coldness storage and heat storage technology, and novel pumped hydroelectric storage technology.
The center currently has 48 employees, including 4 research professors, 12 deputy senior staff members, 2 postdoctoral researchers, and 19 graduate students. Employees include 1 chief expert of the 973 Program, 1 member of the CAS "Hundred Talents Plan", 1 member from the first batch of Outstanding Youth "Ten-thousand Talents Plan" selected by the CPC Organization Department, 1 member from the Youth and Midlife Technological Innovative Leader selected by the CPC Organization Department, and 1 recipient of the Excellent Young Scholar Award from the Natural Science Foundation of China.
Projects and Major Achievements
1. National Key R&D Project "R&D and Demonstration of 10MW-classA-CAES" from Jan 2017 to Dec 2020.
2. National 973 Project "Basic Research on Large-Scale Supercritical Compressed air Energy Storage (SC-CAES) Systems" from Jan 2015 to Aug 2019.
3. National Science Center infrastructure "Clean Energy Material Testing and Diagnostics R&D Platform" from Jan 2018 to Dec 2020.
4. Special International Science Project "International Cooperation Plan Involving Large-Scale Energy Storage Technology R&D and Demonstration" from Jan 2018 to Dec 2022.
Major Technological Achievements
1. Optimization and industrial standardization of 1.5MW compressed air energy storage system was completed.
2. Operation commissioning of 10MW advanced compressed air energy storage demonstration was completed.
3. Optimized design of 100MW advanced compressed air energy storage system, as well as design of key components such as expanders were completed.
1.5MW and 10MW compressed air energy storage system industrialization has been achieved. The construction phase has begun for two commercially applicable 10MW energy storage power stations.
Patents and Paper
42 papers were published in 2017, of which 17 indexed by SCI. Seven national invention patents and 3 utility model patents were applied for, and 1 international patent, 6 national invention patents, and 2 utility model patents were authorized.
1. The project "Advanced Compressed Air Energy Storage System" received recognition as a 2017 Top 10 Energy Storage Technology.
2. The patent for "Supercritical Air Energy Storage System" won China’s 19th Annual Patent Award of Excellence.
3. Chen Haisheng was granted the "Newton Advanced Fellowship" and received recognition as one of "2017’s Top 10 People in New Energy".
International Cooperation and Exchanges
In 2017, the Energy Storage R&D Center undertook 1 Special International Science Project from the CAS and 1 Newton Advanced Fellowship from the Royal Society. The projects of National International Science & Technology Cooperation and Key collaboration undertaken by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) were successfully concluded. Overseas partners include the University of Birmingham, University of Warwick, University of Nottingham, Newcastle University, Ulster University, and others. A total of 13 people went abroad for academic exchanges to boost project progress and 9 participants attended international academic conferences. Three foreign scholars were invited to give lectures at IET.